Friday, April 18, 2008

Thing #10 Technology Blogging

Just a few comments on the digital camera as my Thing#10 ... I'm loving it.

My journey with photography began at a young age with the Brownie camera.
Found out about the twin lens reflex camera and had some fun with that until I graduated to a (non-automatic) 35mm SLR (single lens reflex) camera. Managed to take a photography class and learned about developing and cropping; even had some fun developing my B&W photos at home. Hate to admit it, but I got lazy and started using a simple automatic 35mm, more for documentation than artistic expression.

Which brings me to the here and now - digital photography. With today's technology, it's almost impossible to take a bad picture. I like to think that "art" does come into play sometimes (something about having an "eye"). Editing is a lot of fun - and there is so much to do with a photo after playing with it. Talk about instant gratification...no more taking 10-50 shots of one subject hoping to get a good shot...'delete' is my friend. Adobe Photo Shop is one of the 2-3 software packages I use...and still learning about. The most difficult time I had was trying to find my pictures after saving them...I'm still working on that. There's so much more to learn about using the actual camera - so many settings, so little time...

Downloading pictures onto my computer (and again, trying to remember where I put them) was an adventure, too. But I now enjoy seeing my photos (good and bad) scroll across my screen saver at work -- the Ireland trip is relived daily; my son's high school graduation and prom; my eldest son's 21st birthday celebration; my dad's 75th birthday party; Thanksgiving with my brother and three sisters - all of us (and our families) in the same place at the same time; holidays and family; FlowerFest photos; backyard lawn and garden photos taken by my proud husband.

There are some people who have difficulty adjusting to some aspects of this new technology...My brother-in-law, an awesome photographer, has finally come into the digital age (kicking and screaming). As the digital cameras became more popular, he asked that we keep an eye out for 35mm film, afraid he wouldn't be able to find any more rolls for his camera (I actually bought him several rolls). He purchased his first digital camera last Christmas and hasn't looked back since. His 16 year-old daughter, my niece, had one of her photos published in the local Philly newspaper using her dad's camera. My sister-in-law bought her first digital camera three years ago and gave me advice on what to look for in a digital camera, for which I was truly grateful.

Every other day, it seems, something new comes onto the digital camera scene...megapixels, lenses, memory cards...so much to choose from. Picking the brains of people who enjoy photography is a great way to get tips and helpful hints. And sharing your pictures with those same people is particularly gratifying.

When I see an Ansel Adams photo, I wonder, would he enjoy today's cameras - would his pictures be a little different? Now, that was a guy with an "eye"! http://www.anseladams.com/content/ansel_info/anseladams_biography2.html

Just posted a comment to Karen's Library Blog...her comments have been helpful.

No comments: